Tower of the City Hall
Oradea City Hall – Tower of the City Hall
At the beginning of the twentieth century, urban heritage of Oradea was enriched with a sumptuous building which was to become soon an important administrative and urban center. The monumental edifice of the town hall was built by the architect Kalman Rimanoczy in the neoclassical style and covers an area of 5.508 sqm. The town hall was built after only two years of intense work between February 1902 – October 1903.
The building was constructed in a “U” shpe with an open side. The building is distinguished primarily by its style. It has a ground floor and two floors with access from each side. The façade towards the Crișul Repede has a tower with a clock at the highest point. The building has three courtyards. The decorative accent falls primarily on the main façade in neoclassical style, especially on the central section. It can be said that nowadays, there are a small number of buildings with administrative function in Romania, representing so well merge with its imposing and elegant functionality.
We should note at this time that the building that houses the local government is one of the few buildings in town that has preserved original purpose, namely to serve the interests of society Oradea, a company customized by multi-ethnicism, multi-functionalism, and multiculturalism.
Landmark – “Tower of the City Hall”
One of the three facades of the building, namely the street from Tudor Vladimirescu is marked by “Tower Hall”. It has a height of about 50 m and is equipped with four main levels of the three panoramas.
Tourist attractions at the Tower:
– On the first level is the clock’s mechanism – called “mother clock”.
The clock from the highest point sings Marșul lui Iancu andwas constructed during the early twentieth century in 1904 by a watchmaker named Mezey Dezso. Currently City Hall clock tower is cared for by Nagy Csaba Sandor. Thanks to him, the operation of the clock was changed in 1992. If the inertia weight and pendulum clock worked unti 1992, now the pendulum is driven electronically by axis movements leading up to his pointers gears and dials. The clock consists of four parts – quadrant in the top on each side of the lens. Front quadrant, who looks towards Criș, was made of a thick glass called milk glass and was backlit. After the war, in 1944, the front dial was changed, the glass was replaced with tin, as was done for the other quadrants. The clock has survived two world wars and the roof and the wall of the tower survived two fires, first in 1917 and the second in 1944. The clock dial still bullet holes from 1944.
– Level II – presents a panorama of 33.85 m.
In the history Bihor firefighters vol. II, published in 2001, specifies that in 1904 they were moved to the tower of the City Hall, in order to keep an eye out for fires, announcing danger by beating the bell, according to area where the fires were started – 2 beats for the new town, west Olosig three beats, east Olosig four beats, 5 beats for Velenţa and 6 for Velenţa south. During daytime in the observation tower, a red flag is the direction in which the fire broke out at night lit an electric reflector.
– Level III – at 40.25 m, balcony parapet has mounted several functional huge hammers that knock three times every fifteen minutes.
– Level IV – opportunity of observing in detail the objectives of the downtown area with a telescope.
Access to this level can be done only in in groups of 5 people due to limited space.
CityCard offers provided by this locationBCR City Card TOP City Card